is unusual for having a 350 year history of public school education.
The first public schools in the town were connected to Harvard College,
and were seen as places to prepare male students for higher education.
Over a period of three centuries educational philosophies, funding and
community commitment to public education have changed and evolved.
Cambridge Rindge and Latin School is a reflection of the progress of
the past three centuries.
CRLS came about when the Rindge Technical School was merged with
Cambridge Latin high school in 1977. Rindge Tech began as The Cambridge
Manual Training School in 1888 and was a national model of a successful
technical high school, although for men only. By merging the two high
schools, Cambridge gained a modern, comprehensive high school that
includes the Rindge School of Technical Arts, the city’s
state-of-the-art vocational and technical arts program. The only public
high school in the city of Cambridge, CRLS is located next to the Main
Library on land donated by Frederick Rindge, a benefactor to the City in
the late 19th century.
Pictures: From the Rindge Alumni Collection courtesy of the Cambridge Historical Society.