Cambridge is unusual for having a 350 year history of public school education. The first public schools in the town were connected to Harvard College, and were seen as places to prepare male students for higher education. Over a period of three centuries educational philosophies, funding and community commitment to public education have changed and evolved. Cambridge Rindge and Latin School is a refl ection of the progress of the past three centuries.
CRLS came about when the Rindge Technical School was merged with Cambridge Latin high school in 1977. Rindge Tech began as The Cambridge Manual Training School in 1888 and was a national model of a successful technical high school, although for men only. By merging the two high schools, Cambridge gained a modern, comprehensive high school that includes the Rindge School of Technical Arts, the city’s state-of-the-art vocational and technical arts program. The only public high school in the city of Cambridge, CRLS is located next to the Main Library on land donated by Frederick Rindge, a benefactor to the City in the late 19th century.
Pictures: From the Rindge Alumni Collection courtesy of the Cambridge Historical Society.